Evidence for the Process of Care

The following items will demonstrate my competence in assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, evaluation, and documentation.

1) Preventative Strategies Patient (PSP) from Clinic II   

The Preventative Strategies Patient was an assignment that I completed during my second semester. I  was responsible for identifying a patient who presented periodontal inflammation. I had to document the entire process of care. I was required to evaluate my patient’s biographical sketch, medical history, and dental history. Comprehensive treatment included an intraoral and extraoral examination of the head and neck, periodontal assessment, radiographs, patient education, prophylaxis, fluoride treatment, and documentation. Once the patient’s treatment was completed, a paper was written about the process of care. The purpose was to demonstrate my thought process about the change in the patient’s oral health prior to and after treatment.

2) The Periodontal Maintenance Patient (PM) from Clinic III

The Periodontal Maintenance Patient assignment was completed during my third semester. For this assignment, I  was to select a patient with a periodontal case type of II or higher. Once the patient’s treatment was completed a discussion was held with the clinic III coordinator to compare and contrast this patient’s previous visit to his most recent one. The reasoning for doing this was to analyze if the previous visit made the patient more aware of their  ugzl conditions and to learn why patient education is individually customized to each patient. The patient was evaluated by reviewing their biographical sketch, clinical assessment, and dental hygiene diagnosis.

3) Code of Ethics Project from Clinic IV

The ethics project from clinic IV was completed during my last semester. The assignment was composed of 3 main parts. Many case ethical scenarios were given and I was to determine if there were any areas that were ethically challenged. If there were any ethical dilemmas present I then had to explain why there was an issue using the American  Dental Hygienists’ Association By Laws and Code Of Ethics.

4) Snap Shot

During my time in the dental hygiene program, I was responsible for keeping track of all of my patients. My patients were categorized into AAP case type, amount of calculus, ages, gender, culture, and disabilities.

Johnson County Community College