Defining My Personal Brand

Personal Branding Statement: “I use strategy and creativity to produce work that stands out.”

My personal social media strategy:

• Make more connections with individuals in my career field.
  • Make more posts that are relevant to my career field and my passions.
  • Make it easier for hiring managers to find me when doing a web search to learn more about me.

Additions and changes for LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter:

LinkedIn: I had already put a lot of time and effort into making my LinkedIn profile look professional. The only thing I was missing was my summary. So, I included a short summary, and achieved “All Star” status.

Facebook: I never bothered adding my place of employment, job title, or education to my profile. Even though I have several different social media accounts, I have always been fairly conservative about posting personal details, because I had always thought that the less information I display, especially publicly, the better. 

Taking this class has certainly changed my mind about this because I want to give myself the best chance possible at being hired for any jobs I may apply for. I now realize that it is a good idea to give potential employers the opportunity to get to know a little bit about me so that they can hopefully determine that I am a good fit for them.  So, I finally added my education and employment information.

I have also started making some of my posts public. I don’t post very often, and almost never publicly, but my goal is to post content that relate to my passions, values, and career field more frequently and make some of it more available for public viewing.  

As you can see, I am pretty passionate about cats.

Twitter: Before this project, I did not even have a Twitter account. I deleted my account years ago because I felt that Twitter was outdated and unnecessary. Having created a new account and explored the community, I discovered that Twitter is actually a useful platform for many business professionals, not just celebrities, corporations, and public figures. I found a few marketers and businesses that I would have never found out about if it weren’t for Twitter.  Going back to creating a Twitter account in the first place, I added a profile picture, cover photo, my location, and a short bio for all to see when they visit my profile. I also Retweeted a few posts that I felt were relevant to marketing and my interests.

Overall, I felt that this was a particularly challenging project for me, because I have never been one to expose so much of myself to everyone who uses the internet. Additionally, I had never really taken the time to think about what it is that I stand for and how I want to be perceived by others. My goal has been to just get through school, get a degree, get a job, and then figure myself out. I realize now that this approach would not have been beneficial for me in the long run. I am glad that I have been given the opportunity to reevaluate my goals and ambitions.

One thought on “Defining My Personal Brand