Discovering my top 5 strengths and how to leverage them

This week we were asked to take an assessment on the CliftonStrengths.  According to the site, “The CliftonStrengths assessment measures the 34 themes of talent that most consistently predict outstanding performance.”

“The greater the presence of a particular theme of talent within a person, the more likely that person is to exhibit those talents in day-to-day life.”

My 5 strengths listed in order are:

• Achiever
  • Strategic
  • Input
  • Responsibility
  • Individualization

When I received these results, they were not surprising to me.  I was, however, enlightened by how the downside of these strengths can affect my reasoning and thankful for the guidance on how to handle them.

Achiever is categorized as drive and a constant need for achievement.   This strength gives me the determination to work long hours and set the pace for the levels of productivity in my workgroup.

I can leverage this skill in class to achieve high levels of productivity on my projects as well as be a leader to other classmates I may be teamed with.

One negative I have become aware of that follows this strength is that achievers often become resentful of others in the team who do not work at their pace.  Unfortunately, this drive also comes with a whisper of discontentment and difficulty taking time to rest.

Strategic is described as the ability to quickly sort through ideas and problems while playing out all scenarios and evaluating potential obstacles.

This strength can be leveraged to give me a leg up when competing on a professional level in a position that is results-oriented.

One point that I found helpful is to be mindful that others may think of me as dismissive of their ideas as I have quickly sorted through scenarios.  I need to be thoughtful to those whom I may be teamed with by remembering to explain myself, so they understand my reasoning as well as allowing others the opportunity to express their ideas.

The Input strength is described as inquisitive and a collector of things both tangible and intangible.   This describes my desire for constant learning and the variety of subjects that interest me.

Although this can be beneficial I need to remember to keep my inquiries focused when necessary.

This strength will be helpful when researching subjects for both school and career-related projects.

Responsibility, the psychological ownership for anything you commit to and the importance of one’s good name were next on my list.  I feel this ties in with the achiever theme.  The negative component is the willingness to volunteer may lead me to take on more than I should.  I need to be mindful to keep a balance so that I do not feel overwhelmed.

Another area to be mindful of is that others may take advantage of the fact that they know I will finish a project.

Individualization is described as an intrigue at the unique qualities of each person, allowing to draw on each person’s strengths.   I feel there are no negatives to this quality.

This strength has served me well throughout my life.  I feel that encouraging each person to work in their area of expertise is a skill well leveraged.  By allowing each person to work to the best of their ability, this promotes self-esteem and the makings of a strong team.

Learning of these strengths will help me to focus on those areas in which I excel and be mindful of the possible downfalls.

Understanding these strengths can be beneficial in my classwork as well as my future career path in allowing me to understand how to better interact with my classmates and co-workers.  This will also be helpful in choosing a position that would provide me with an opportunity to showcase my talents.

One thought on “Discovering my top 5 strengths and how to leverage them”

1. What a wonderful blend of strengths you have, Sandra! I appreciate how you looked at the areas to be aware of in each of your strengths too.