Google Myself Challenge

I was surprised by how just googling my name popped up with so many results, including myself and other people from all over the world. I love social media and I have several different accounts. When I typed in “Adam Alsup”, I noticed that the websites and social media apps I tend to use the most were what showed up as most popular and on page 1 of the search results. Facebook and LinkedIn seemed to be the ones showing the most results. Also, Twitter and Instagram showed up along with many random things such as white pages, spokeo, etc. I also did a Google image search and was surprised by how many of my photos I’ve posted through Instagram and Facebook showed up on there. You sometimes forget how open the Internet can be and although you don’t think much about posting a photo on Facebook at the time, I’ve realized once it’s uploaded, it can be all over the internet within a matter of seconds.

I was also surprised by how many Adam Alsup’s there were in the world. I wouldn’t be so shocked if my name was John Smith but my  last name is somewhat unique so I thought it was odd that not only are there so many Adam’s but there were multiple Adam Alsup’s from all over based in the Google search results. What I’d like to achieve and accomplish this semester is using some of these social media outlets as more business and branding myself and not just for fun. I am more cautious and aware of the impact posting info and photos on sites like Facebook can have and how some future employers may see this and judge you based on what they’ve googled searched about you.