The Difference in Vinyl

Today we are discussing the differences in crafting vinyl’s.  Did you know that there are multiple vinyl’s, not just brands but also vinyl type.  Today I am going to talk about the top 3 vinyl types, which are the ones that are asked about the most on the craft groups I am in.

Vinyl #1–Permanent vinyl–you use this on crafts where you don’t want to remove the vinyl.  There are various types of permanent, but this is for something that you want the vinyl to actually stay on for a long time.  Sometimes you would still need to put a clear coat over the vinyl especially if you are leaving this item outside.

Vinyl#2–Removable Vinyl—I don’t actually use removable vinyl very often however you could use it for indoor projects and as a stencil.  I love doing stenciled welcome mats and this is good for that, however to save money lots of people use press and seal for their stencils.

Vinyl #3–HTV–This is heat transfer vinyl also called iron on.  Now with this vinyl you normally have to mirror your creation so that when you iron it on it’s correct on your shirt/item.  The really cool thing about iron on vinyl is that you can actually iron it on wood, glass and other non-clothing items.  This is probably my favorite vinyl type since it is versatile.

Keep in mind that vinyl is not cheap and the more types that you have the more you have to keep straight and organized.  The rolls of vinyl at most craft stores can range $15 and up a roll, and the rolls are not very long at all, so finding vinyl that you would like to use on multiple projects is a good idea.