Things I’ve learned this week

This week there were several readings and videos that definitely opened my eyes to the world of social media and the impact it has on our society. I really enjoyed the video, #Socialnomics 2014 by Erik Qualman. I thought it was fascinating to see so many statistics about social media and technology and how it effects us. Some of the stats, including relationship ones were surprising. It shows that 1 in 5 straight couples meet through social media and 3 in 5 gay couples do. I was kinda surprised but kinda not from that. Social media is a great way for anyone to meet their future partner through because it gives you access to all over the world instead of just your local city.

I’ve also enjoyed learning about new things through some of our readings this week. The article “Digital and Social; The Changing Media Landscape” by Team Next was somewhat of a shock when realizing how Internet and social media has not only changed us but also the way businesses work. I t’s crazy how everyday news outlets like newspapers and magazines are either going out of business or going virtual based on the decline of people going out buying newspapers when they’re reading the news on their smartphones and laptops. Facebook continues to evolve, now even having their own online newspaper, FB Newswire, making it even easier to find newsworthy stories and articles by using a hashtag or the tap of a screen.

Although many of the things I’ve read and watched this week are things I’ve known about and are obvious, it’s defninitely surprising to see so many facts about social media and how it’s changing basically everything.